Congratulations Lincoln.  Your speech about the Pangolin was interesting and well.

You live in a cold dark cage barely big enough to lie down in with No toilet, proper bedding, and barely enough food to survive.  You never get any time out of the cage. This is not my idea of fun and I’m sure it’s not yours either!  This is the reality for many caged animals. Don’t get me wrong many zoos and wildlife parks are doing some amazing things to help animals.  They are now more about conservation and protecting animals.

This leads me to the subject of trafficking. NO, Not Auckland rush hour traffic, animal trafficking! 350 million animals are illegally bought and sold on the black market each year. What do you think the most trafficked animal is in the world today?   It is a pangolin.

Pangolins or scaly anteaters are one of my favourite animals.  Did you know pangolins are the only scaled mammal? They are hunted by the thousands for their meat, for their scales and for the illegal pet trade (apparently they make great pets).

Trafficking of endangered animals like the pangolin is illegal and sadly there are not many wild pangolins left.  Pangolins need to be saved!  So what can you do you may well ask?  Next time some dodgy looking character in a long coat asks you if you want to buy a pangolin, just say NO!